Stāmeriena castle buildings are quite new compared to other Latvian manors. It started only in the 19th century. Before Stāmeriena has been a half-manor of Vecgulbene manor for a very long time. In 1802 Vecgulbene manor became property of von Wolff family. The first owners of the manor - Johan Gottlieb II von Wolff and his wife Marie – they had seven sons and three daughters.
Stāmeriena manor was established in 1809 separating it from the manor of Vecgulbene. After death of J. G. von Wolff his younger son Heinrich Johan Friedrich von Wolff inherited the manor, but later – his descendants.
At the beginning of the 20th century two brothers – Boris and Paul von Wolff became owners of Stāmeriena castle. They both had got good education and they connected their carrier with St. Petersburg and the tsar's court. On January 30th, 1894 in French health resort Mentone Boris von Wolff married born in 1858 in Modena Italian camera singer Marie Theresa Alice Laura Barbi. Artistic performance of the singer that time was highly appreciated by the great composer J. Brahms. A. Barbi resigned her carrier in favour of marriage and family life. On November 15th, 1894 in Nice the first of their daughters Alexandra (Alexandrine) Alice Marie was born (1894 -1982), but on July 11th, 1896 – Olga. After Boris von Wolff `s death his widow married an Italian ambassador in London marquis della Torretta .
1920th /30th in Stāmeriena can be symbolic called as time of Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. In Latvian State History Archive funds there is information stored documenting residence time of the novelist in Latvia. Although the acquired documents do not give full and chronological review the accessible data reveal and within limits lets us understand the essential things in Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa's interface with Latvia and his relations with the hostess of Stāmeriena manor Alexandra von Wolff that resulted in marriage in 1932. It is considered they got acquainted in London with interposition of her mother and mother's second husband Pjetro della Torretta (Torretti) who was the novelist's uncle. We can remark – Alexandra's marriage to Andrew Pilar von Pilchau concluded in 1918 was not successful and they divorced on July 19th, 1932. Soon after on August 24th the same year Giuseppe Tomasi and Alexandra von Wolff got married in Riga in the Holy Mary Proclamation Orthodox church. Italian ambassador in Latvia was informed about it, too.
In 1920th /30th owner of Stāmeriena manor Alexandra von Wolff travelled a lot periodically staying abroad, in Riga and in Stāmeriena. She lived in the castle also after divorce and presenting of the manor to her divorced husband Andrew Pilar von Pilchau.
For a wider range of interested-in people it is possible to get acquainted with materials from Latvian State History Archive, Latvian National Library and private libraries on Italian novelist `s Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa interface with Latvia. For the first time it was revealed in spring of 2002 in State History Museum when the exhibition „Is Stāmeriena akin Sicily!” was opened. Now part of this exhibition is viewable in Stāmeriena manor castle as a constant exhibition.
Speaking about Stāmeriena manor we must admit it was founded in a very beautiful place at two lakes – Stāmeriena and Poga. It is not possible to indicate direct years of construction for the buildings but probably mainly they were built in the first half of the 19th century because it is known in 1822 it was a stone building with a tegular roof. Later the castle was reconstructed and extended several times. As a result of these works Stāmeriena manor castle has become one of the brightest French Neo-Renascence samples among manors of Latvia. Similar to many other castles in Latvia it was burnt down in 1905. Soon after that renovation works started. Restoration was finished in 1908. The castle was not reconstructed in its preliminary looks but was heavily rebuilt. This way the castle got traits of Palladian and Art Nouveau style.
Stāmeriena manor castle remained property of baron von Wolff family also after agrarian reform in 1920. That is why representatives of the family resided here also in the twentieth and thirtieth.
There is a more than 20 ha landscape park around the castle. It is formed following the so-called fan-principle, i.e. very long view perspectives are opened from one central point - castle. There are several manor constructions preserved in the surroundings – blacksmith `s dwelling house with a forge, stable, cart house, coachman `s apartment, servant `s house, miller `s house, granary etc., also St. Nevsky Orthodox Church built in 1904.
After World War II Stāmeriena Agriculture Technical school was established in the castle. Later the hosts were collective farm „Stāmeriena” and village executive committee. These institutions used the castle for their needs even until 1992 when the collective farm was liquidated. Then the building was not in use for six years.
Since 1998 Stāmeriena castle, park and two household buildings have been managed by the company „Zeltaleja -1” Ltd. In this period of time the most necessary works are done to prevent downfall of the buildings. Regular management is carried out in the park, too. Now Stāmeriena park is one of the best fostered and managed historical parks in Gulbene district. The castle is open for public. Interested in people are offered guided excursions.